More and more young people choose non-formal education to start and advance their careers by completing and promoting their formal education. Distance learners are typically those who have no access to campus based education due to far across distance, financial constraints or simply because of personal or professional commitments. Such students can be employees who work during school hours, the homebound or self-motivated individuals who wish to take courses for self-knowledge advancement.
Online education is a very effective alternative education for the mature, disciplined students nowadays. Online learning gives students control over their learning experience and allows flexibility in hours of study from nontraditional educational institutions. In order to successfully participate in an online program, students must be well organized, motivated, and possess a high degree of time management to keep pace with the course. Studies have also proved that online education has a retention level which is 250% better than traditional education.
The main advantages of online education are briefly explained below:
1. Cheaper: Online courses can be more affordable than those offered at colleges or traditional universities. You can also save on transportation costs such as gas permits, bus passes and parking, it is not necessary to go to school and there is no housing to worry because you do not need to live in or near a college campus.
The best part of online education is the lack of movement and immigration problems. Some students may prefer not to continue the traditional teaching on campus, because it involves travel to attend classes. With online education, the applicant does not have to travel. An internet connection is required to start the education process.
2. More convenient: By taking online courses, you are able to decide when to study and for how long. You can schedule your study according to your work timings.
Since you are not tied to a classroom, you can do your work wherever you have access to computers and the Internet. You can set your own pace and decide exactly how fast you want to go over the material.
3. Flexibility: You are the one to decide when to do homework and readings. You set the pace. In some programs, you can even create your own program. Online students can do their official work along with education. As it offers the convenience & time flexibility, a student can open or close a course according to his wish.
4. Technology: With the help of scientific technology, students can study online from anywhere. The only requirement is the availability of required material, with Internet equipment. Secondary benefits include new technologies for learning and technical skills
5. Availability: opportunities for distance learning have exploded in recent years, with many programs accredited and reputable now employers are providing equal emphasis on hiring online degree holders as well as campus based degree holders.